View Single Post
      03-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #26
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Just tried another G30, this was a 520d on standard SE suspension and 19" wheels (why?!). Thoughts compared to 530d xdrive MSport on 20s:

1) Ride and handling:
- it didn't give the same confidence as the previous one: I think the increased bounciness and body roll of the SE suspension is to blame for that;
- ride comfort was no better, maybe worse;
- road noise was the same.
It seems to me that the new stiffer body and mounting points of the G30 are absorbing short duration high amplitude forces sent up through the MSport suspension without the scuttle and shake that you get in the F10, so you don't need to avoid MSport suspension for the ride to feel comfortable, indeed MSport may actually be more comfortable because longer duration forces (cornering, road undulation) cause less pitching.

2) Other thoughts:
- the 2.0d engine is very pleasant for a 4 cylinder diesel, always quiet, refined, powerful enough for UK roads and traffic, I would have no qualms about living with it day in day out if that was all that was on offer;
- I am now pretty sure I like the interior LESS than the F10. It seems "busier" and gaudier, when I want minimalist and understated.

Upshot - I am slightly frustrated. It seems I may need to go MSport to get the handling and ride compromise I am looking for, but it's a lot of money to spend based on extrapolation and guesswork. Probably going to need to wait a while and drive a couple of other cars to try to find the sweet spot in handling/ride/NVH.

Going to treat my F10 to a new set of tyres as it isn't going to be px'd any time soon !
Appreciate 0