daveschroeder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
keyword = artificial
I'm using the term loosely — it's actual in that that's what you're getting at that moment during the test, just not necessarily persistently and indefinitely. What you're "supposed" to be able to count on with conventional home broadband connectivity is the service tier you're paying for.

If you are paying for 60/5, your tests should consistently show 60/5. If they at times show, e.g., 80/5 because of "SpeedBoost" or some similar "feature", you're really getting 80/5 at that moment — but it's not doing something like falsely showing your paid speed tier (60/5), when you're really getting less. That's all I'm saying.

That aside, speedtest.net, AT&T's tool, and others are not going to incorrectly underreport as a result of this, and they're not going to overreport because AT&T doesn't do this with their network, and AT&T also doesn't guarantee any particular bandwidth with LTE — but one would expect similar LTE data performance in a good service area from LTE-enabled devices, unless AT&T is further "managing" (throttling) their in-car offerings, for example, which would be my first suspicion.
Appreciate 0