NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoto250 View Post
Thanks, this definitely helped put things into perspective when you compared them that way. The X5 m550i is nice and looks mean but I prefer the tuned v6 as it’s zippy and more exciting a drive, less of a boat feeling. My husband mentioned how in the macan he always wanted to accelerate it everywhere and with the x5, it’s more of a cruiser, softer ride. So like you said, I’m sure the 5 would feel similar with just a lower center of gravity.

I’m definitely really considering the m340i now after all the responses. Like you said, if I ever needed more space, the x5 is there so why not get a smaller sportier car for me 😆 while not breaking the bank. That’ll help me pay off the rest of my student loans quicker. Now to figure out if I should lease or finance. 😩 Thanks for input!
Everyone I talk to in the car business or that’s leased a lot of cars has said leasing is an awful value right now. The money factors are super high.

I haven’t owned a 3 series. Driven a couple for a few days as loaners but not owned. I did have an ‘18 540 before I recently traded it for a ‘20 550. Here is my thought:

If you want the baddest vehicle in the lineup, shy of a true M car, and raw power for days then get the M550.

If you want to jet through town, hit the throttle often, and feel like your in a sports car then get the M340.

I actually feel myself driving a bit more conservative, or it seems that way, with the M550. It is very satisfying, so that’s not a negative. Driving the car feels incredible. But it has SO MUCH power that I’m just not compelled to get very deep in the throttle when driving around town. Now, I don’t think I’m driving any slower. I’m just less aggressive on the throttle because it’s so powerful. So it feels more conservative.

When traffic is more sparse or you’re on the open interstate, you can put it in sport plus and turn it into a freaking race car. I was texting with another member of the forum last night and we were noting that this car feels most natural over 80 mph, really closer to 100.

As far as space, I have a 6 year old and 5 month old. The 5 has enough space. I know the 3 only has marginally less space, but I would consider it. That marginally may make a big difference when it comes to child seats. We have an X7 that my wife drives, but the kids are still in my car weekly.

As far as nimbleness, I did manage to find an M550 with Dynamic Handling. As it relates to your comments: on the upside the DHP will make it change direction like it’s a 3; downside may be that can feel a bit disconnected when it comfort mode (but that also makes it ride like a freaking dream). Someone else said it’s like driving a go kart on a magic carpet. Pretty spot on. I’d say like a magic carpet that’s on a rail.

If you like a mid size sedan, have kids in mind, and think you prefer the B58 then I’d make one more suggestion: try out a 540i in M Sport trim. It’s not much slower to 60 than the M340, has a sportier suspension, and gets you the size and more solid luxury interior quality of the 5 series. The quality of the seats is a HUGE jump when you go from 3 to 5, regardless of upholstery choice.

You’re not really going to go wrong. I wanted the raw V8 power, which is already endangered. I figure there will be time for fast, nimble, efficient cars later. But you may value different things.

Last thing, on efficiency - I’ve had a lot of V8’s. Mostly GM and one Lexus and now the BMW. The Lexus was the least powerful and most inefficient. The BMW when driven fairly conservatively is probably a little more efficient than the GM. On the highway, driving normally, the BMW is by far the most efficient. But if you put it in sport/sport plus and get after it, it may drink gasoline faster than that Lexus. Alternatively, the B58 I6 engine is a remarkable masterpiece of power and efficiency working in concert. Even driving aggressively, it is very efficient for the power you get out of it.

Keep us posted on where you end up with your decision. Good luck!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 5
Jsoto250155.00
Mosaud19983941.50
adhrp1303.00
Mandingo93500.00