03-24-2023, 10:21 AM   #12
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
My vote for 540i, it’s a lighter car (than X5), will feel nimble without the need for gas gussling v8.

5 series interior build quality, comfort and choice or materials in just a different world, same at X5. I’d hesitate to go for m340i just for the engine. (I had a 335i before, have had the pleasure to drive two 5s, both with the in-line 6 turbos). Multi contour seats and luxury seating is not offered on 3 series, switching between x5 and your second car on a day to day basis will feel seamless with a 5 series.

If money isn’t an issue go M550i, it’s not necessary in my opinion since you pretty much get all bells and whistles in 540i except the engine (which is more efficient with the 48v mild hybrid introduction with LCI).

Also, getting a 3 series would likely rule that out for taking two toddlers in the future, seating may be fine, the trunk space is limited, resulting in sole reliance on your X5. I personally like more options when I have two expensive vehicles.

Hear you on driving sedans vs suvs, test drove an x3, not a fan at all, it’s like sitting in a bus. (Though I hear the Macan drives like a car!

I have to echo these thoughts. I evaluated the M550xi and the 540xi and ended up ordering a 2019 540xi with the M Sport package, M Sport brakes and Multi Contour seats. I found the performance to be excellent and I saved $10k over the M550 at the time. My wife also owns an older 328xi so I a familiar with the size differences. For me, the 5 Series is easier to get in and out of and easier to install car seats for grandkids. With fold down rear seats it is also a pretty good hauler for home construction projects. Still, it is of a reasonable size and it drives and handles very well. While an M550 is a bit faster, the 540 is no slouch at 4.8 seconds 0-60. I have always had high performance cars and currently have a C7 Corvette Z06 if I have the need for a really-quick-car fix (0-60 2.95 sec). I am quite happy with the performance of the 540xi and as noted by others, it does do a little better on gas mileage than the M550. I would suggest you drive both and compare. There are a few moments every once in a while that I wish I had an M550, but the 540xi is an excellent car in all respects and I have been very happy with it. As a side note, I have always liked sedans, but at this point in my life I actually need one, as I park under a lift with my Corvette on top. But if I did go for an SUV it would probably be an X3 M40.

As to leasing, financing or buying outright, much depends on your personal needs and on any deals that dealers or manufacturers may be offering. I sold BMWs and Minis for seven years in my early retirement and at the time I ran an analysis on the long term ownership costs of each method of ownership. I found that the financial costs were essentially the same over five years for each alternative. So, much depends on your personal preferences, all other things being equal. If you prefer renting a car that is always under warranty, leasing might make sense. If offered interest rates are lower than what you can earn on investments, financing might make sense. If you have cash available a purchase might be best. At the end of the day, you will not go wrong owning either a 540 or a M550, regardless of how you pay for it. --Bob
Jsoto250155.00