01-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #255
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Ehhhhhhhh.... I'll bite.

The 2JZ is a stronger motor. I think it's hard to argue. It's not hard to see four digit power on a stock longblock. You can expect 400whp on stock twins, but if you're doing a swap, you're likely going single turbo anyways. It's also way more aftermarket friendly (and cheaper to modify) because it's been around a lot longer. A friend of mine that owns a performance shop has but 1jzs and 2jzs in just about everything you could imagine. (inlcuding a couple of BRZ/GT86/FRS) They're just plentiful motors and it's easy to make reliable power with them.

The B58 is nice, but it's not a JZ.

All that said, I think it's just a meme. No one besides some speed shops and some youtube channels will actually go buy a $60,000 car and immediatly throw a twenty year old motor in it for $15,000.

If America ever got a 4 cylinder option though, that was say... $10,000 less, I would expect to see a lot of those cars get 1jz/2jz swapped.
4 digits hp is at least a little difficult in a JZ. They are great engines, but they would ruin the handling balance of the car since they weigh 600lbs. Their power delivery does not mesh with modern cars, they make power higher in the rev range, that's not what the consumer demand shows is desired. 4 digit power is also completely unusable on the street, canyons and anywhere but runway tracks. The b58 is making mid 500whp with a turbo swap and ethanol, so they lose the 5% of new supra consumers that would look to build a 1000whp car. I think the vast majority of enthusiasts are more than happy with 500whp. But i'm sure some people will look forward to ruining the geometry of the car in the search for 1000whp numbers.