View Single Post
      02-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
Benjoepen
Rep
Drives: M140i VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Can't remember exactly where I copied the following; even though it is for Porsches (OK, there, I said a dirty word!), the basic advice seems sound and applicable to all high performance engines... which is to gradually increase RPMs over the break-in period. Also, conventional wisdom is not to drive for an extended distance at the same RPM which means no cruise control on a extended trip during break-in.

Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger on Porsche break-in, during a video presentation last Autumn, as reported by someone on Rennlist (http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/90228...e-rules.html):
"I videoed AP's presentation, and here is what he said:
«I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles.»
He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more «delicate» rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.
Another point - he recommended to realign the car after 1000-1500 miles due to settling - especially since the tires are getting bigger and bigger, and more sensitive to changes. The RS apparently is really sensitive around this.
You figure the head of the GT program would give you the straight goods."
Preuninger also pointed out that people driving their GT4 or GT3 straight from the dealership to the track are hurting their cars.
GREAT STUFF! Thanks for this, makes good sense to me.
Appreciate 0