LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoul View Post
@ LogicalApex what is the final verdict on the July 2020 Update? I still haven't taken mine in to get it. I don't need Android Auto because my Note5 does not support wireless AA and all the newer Samsung phones won't fit in the wireless tray with the exception of the base S10 maybe. Other than that, is there any real advantage? Does it improve the BMW maps experience in the HUD? Will the update prevent me from re-applying all my codes? Especially the "Lane Change Assist" which I love on long drives.
I can't comment with authority on coding as I haven't applied any tweaks to my car yet. From what I've read across the various forums though is this will reset your coding and require a reapplication.

The update has been overall good for me, but there are a few caveats that I mentioned previously on the update. The most glaring one in regards to Maps is the removal of a lot of the menu options in the left for setting a destination. Such as the option to enter a street address directly, enter GPS coordinates, and the like. Although you can do all of these via the "Where to?" search it isn't immediately clear that you can do this. Additionally, your favorites and recent destinations and etc are all moved under a single option which can make that a bit less intuitive as well.

The win I see in maps is I feel the Road Hazard alerts and the like are very quick and accurate. For instance, coming around a wall to stopped traffic on the highway I've often received warnings of the traffic being stopped ahead or I'm entering an area with extremely heavy rain accurately. Otherwise, the maps feel largely the same. Maps doesn't look any different in the HUD. You do get CarPlay in the HUD, but I only used that once to see what it looked like and went back to standard BMW maps.
Appreciate 0