Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
This is one of my all time favs. It's a baby Eastern Screech Owl popping its head out at dusk. Not long after we moved into our home, I did a lot of work to naturalize our property and make it nature friendly. I built and hung three owl boxes. Two were in the woods at what I thought were prime locations for owls to nest. The third, I figured wtf, and hung it in a tree in our front yard about 25 ft from the house facing right into my kids bedroom window. Low and behold a pair of owls decided to use that one for their nesting box. We got to watch them all season from the time the two adults (a red phase male and a gray phase female) set up shop until they fledged. It was an awesome way to introduce the kids to the beauty of nature.
Josh, very neat story and pictures.

Over the years, I found great horned owls nesting right where there's lots of people traffic. GHO takes nests-of-convenience, meaning they don't build their own. They usually take a hawk nest from the prior year.

I wouldn't say that owls "enjoy" people, but they are not too disturbed by us, in general.