View Single Post
      12-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

I love my Apple stuff (my iPad, my iPhone, my Apple TV), I just don't see the logic behind buying a $2k computer for websurfing and e-mail.
People may not see the point spending $40,000 on a 3 series vs an Impala. While the 3 series is a better built car, people may want the Impala because it is a full size car, etc. People have different parameters on what they will spend their money on. My parents hate upgrading. It's a pain in the butt to convince them its time to upgrade( they didn't care that to load a webpage it took 40 seconds with the beach ball of death showing up all the time. Their old 2005 20" iMac G5 still worked).

That is why I have them get the top of the line iMac. So it has enough power to meet their needs well into the future. Four years later, their Late 2009 27" iMac Core i7 hasn't slowed down yet even with the latest software for their uses. My six year old Early 2008 17" MBP is still going strong and only now starting to be taxed a bit. Where my old 12" PB G4 was struggling only after 4 years to run at a decent speed.

My next computer will be the top of the line 27" iMac with the 780M, 1 TB Fusion Drive, etc. But, that is mostly because I also play X-Plane 10 which is a demanding flight simulator.
Appreciate 0