LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy1960 View Post
I have had my 530e for six months and covered some 5000 miles, system has triggered on numerous occasions but never braked by itself.... until last Wednesday. I was on a clear road, no traffic or pedestrians, weather was good and dry, car was clean. I was travelling at about 25-30 mph on a road I use every day on my way to work when suddenly the car did a full emergency stop all by itself. I reported this to BMW and they have taken the car into a local dealer where it’s has been for over a week. They have apparently updated all of the ‘modules’ with the latest software and road tested the car. I’m not sure I will ever feel the same about the car as I will never really know if the fault has been cured. I wanted to be able to turn the system off as I feel that the safety system is a safety issue in itself, but BMW will not do this as it’s a safety system!
This is my ninth BMW on the trot and I feel it may be my last.
All cars with these sensors experience this to some degree, or better said they have the possibility of experiencing this, and there was an extensive write up in the WSJ recently looking at this across manufacturers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-auto...003cb338b6de7f

The safety systems are great, but they aren't yet fully capable of replacing human drivers and can be impacted by a variety of factors. Having a clean car is a must as dirty sensors can cause problems, but as the BMW manual notes so can certain conditions.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 4.45.08 PM.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  168.4 KB

You can also disable any of the systems individually or all at once via the button in the car or in your profile. Honestly, it only makes sense to read the manual if you're operating a car with these systems so you can actually understand how they work...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 4.48.41 PM.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  123.8 KB
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00