View Single Post
      12-23-2020, 04:47 AM   #60
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover06 View Post

Locak shops in Turkey having around 250HP with a pump gas. But I really don't trust these guys because they are not engineers and they don't care about the longevity of cars. That's why I got excited to see a tune from a reliable company who has many customers around the world.

Having something around 240HP is more than fine for me. Another problem with the 1.6lt engine is it's totally dead until 2500rpm it's not even moving.. Same turbo with 2.0 can not be filled as quickly as in 2.0 and messes things up until the mid-rpm range.

Thing is Halim said that he made these cars "many times before". If so why don't they have a OTS map? Wh do I need a custom tune? Why don't they have any dyno for this car? All of these made me suspicious

In the EU countries all 520's are 2.0. As you said not much 1.6 520i's are around.

BTW, Redline RPM for 1.6 is same with the 2.0: 6,500.
A lot to unpack

If the tuners are actually local (the guy setting up the map is physically there in the shop with you) instead of remote (I have many "local" shops that are a dude with a dyno here in hong kong but the guy actually putting together the map is in germany) then I would still rather go with them. Best thing to do to alleviate your concerns are twofold, one, learn more about this stuff on your own, and two ask the tuner questions BEFORE you commit. A good tuner who cares about their business will be happy to discuss this with their client. It's just like any other business. I wouldn't use a butcher that isn't enthusiastic about talking about which cut of meat is good for this or that cooking style. I wouldn't trust a tuner that wouldn't speak with me about why they're doing what they're doing.

240HP is probably the upper range of what you should expect (this is crank power), you're probably barely going to break 200whp

the turbo is sized for a 2.0 and not a 1.6, not much you can do about it, and 2500rpm isn't really that bad, you may be a bit spoilt but modern engines that pull from like 1200rpm. At the end of the day it's still a 1.6, it takes exhaust gas to build boost so ...

I have no idea who Halim is but the base maps are provided by protuningfreaks(i.e bootmod3) and there are tuners who operate on the platform who provide custom tune services. So it makes sense that PTF/BM3 don't have a base map for the 1.6 (given they primarily operate in markets that do not have this engine) but it doesn't mean that the tuners on the platform have not had experience with the 1.6. But for those tuners, EVERY tune they create is custom. They might use something they've used before as a starting point but it's still "custom" so you might just be worried over terminology

As for the redline i can send you the calculations to show why the 1.6l @ 7500rpm is experiencing the same stress as the 2.0l at 6500rpm

You can talk to Halim (I'm guessing he's a custom tuner on the BM3 platform) about bumping the redline. Given the valves and head and ports and litterally most everything else in the engine should be the same between the 1.6 and 2.0 (B48B20A), it should breath the same @ 7500rpm as the 2.0 @ 6000 rpm (7500*0.8 ~= 6000). The turbo doesn't care about what RPM or displacement is either, it just has a turbine speed, flow rate, and pressure ratio. The main concern when bumping the RPM is the conrods and pistons. Your stroke & rpm determine the piston speed (and average acceleration), your rod/stroke ratio determine how smooth or spiky the instantaneous acceleration curve is which is important because the peak acceleration is what's going to ultimately determine whether the rod fails or not)
Appreciate 0