07-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
rvacha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Yeah, I figured that out - thanks! I ended up finding a path through the firewall. It was a PIA but basically I removed both microfilter housings (3 hex screws each) and then the entire underlying plastic assembly underneath them (just 2 hex screws). With this removed you can see the area on the driver's side underneath the DSC hydraulic control module. Way down there is a sizable wiring harness that passes through the firewall in a large rubber seal. I then removed the driver's side foot well cover (3 Torx screws). I pushed an oversized hex driver in the roughly 1/4" "condom" in the rubber seal and them pulled the condom into the passenger compartment, turning it inside out. I them cut the end off with wire cutters and pushed a coat hanger through the new hole. Pushing the coat hanger up over the brake assemblies allowed me to tape the Cat 5 cables on the engine compartment side and pull them through the firewall. After messing with a bunch of different locations I ended up putting the CPU housing way up against the outer wall above the dead pedal. I decided against the fog light switch and instead used the included round switch. The switch is mounted to the foot well cover and is not visible at all, but still easy to find and operate.

I mounted the transmitter units bubble up between the (almost) outer most kidney grill openings. Ideally the bubble should be at the bottom but due to the slope of the grills doing so would have caused the non-bubble end to protrude from the grill too much and I couldn't get over the poor aesthetics. Bubble up seemed like a good compromise to me. As far as attachment I used double-sided foam tape on both sides of the transmitter. The transmitters fit snuggly - we'll see if the adhesive holds up.

When the sun rises again I'll post a few pics

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 0