View Single Post
      06-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Rear Diffuser cutout

This is pretty simple as long as your are comfortable working with tools and cutting up your new diffuser.

To remove the diffuser follow the steps in this thread (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=diffuser)

Once you have it removed you need to peel the insert out. I guess you can stick an exacto in the space between it and the diffuser and just cut it out, but to be more precise we decided to remove it before the cut.

From behind carve into the diffuser an 1/8-1/4 of an inch from the edge and cut all around basically in the same shape. The picture shows us cutting a square because at that point we weren't sure how this thing was attached. As it turns out its attached with heavy double sided tape so youll need to cut along the entire length and width of the thing.

After cutting just pop it out. You can separate the piece from the scrap diffuser piece and remove all the sticky tape if you decide to save the insert.

At this point you have options....

1. Sand or file down the diffuser from the back vertically to remove the rough cut. Might be difficult gauging how much to remove and it may not end up straight.

2. Which is what we did, from the front cut horizontally around the opening with an exacto straightening the rough cut you had done from behind.

After completion you should be able to see a strip about 1/8 of an inch thick where the cut was.

Now using a rasp or any grinder carefully grind down the backside vertically until this strip is gone. The strip provides a natural straight line. This plastic is very soft so be careful. You can easily scratch the diffuser and/or remove too much material.

After getting all the excess off youll have a nice smooth straight opening where the insert was.

Take your mesh, place it over the opening on the back of the diffuser, and cut it roughly in the shape of the opening. Leave enough overhang (~1-2 inches) so it almost touches once it bent. Also, youll want to make cuts near the curves so the mesh sits flat with no warping or kinking.

Now bend the mesh so it contours the diffuser. Here we inserted the insert back in to provide support and hold the shape properly.

Apply an adhesive. Im guessing something like liquid nails will work. We had stuff that came with another bumper left over but there was no name on the tube.

Place some coke cans on the mesh and tape it down so it can dry properly.

Leave overnight and reattach the diffuser.

Sorry, I have to attach my pics at the end. I dont know how to get them in between my sentences. I also have to apologize for the poor image quality and lack of detailed pics because I cant stop to take pics while working with dirty hands.
Appreciate 0