Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
OP, if you get a 4runner do not get the TRD exhaust that comes on the Pro. Like I said earlier, we modded my wife's 2020 4runner ORP to be a Pro and that included the $700 TRD exhaust. I didn't want to do it because my experience with V6s and exhausts is that they sound like crap and drone, but my wife wanted it because it sounded "cool". Today we drove 200 miles to Wichita today which was through a constant 20mph+ headwind and lots of very long and steep hills through the Flint Hills of south central Kansas. The 4runner was bouncing between 5th and 4th and when in 4th, the drone set in. It was exhausting. The truck only managed 16mpg too. LOL Towards the end of trip I learned the key was to keep it under 78mph and when in cruise control, give it a little throttle myself going up hills to unlock the torque converter in 5th gear and keep it from downshifting to 4th. Whoever at Toyota did the shift logic should be shot. It is seriously bad in those situations. There is no need for a downshift into 4th. This truck definitely prefers sub 75 mph cruising on fairly flat topography.
I'm sure gearing is a little influenced by off-roading too. Drone sucks in a sports car, let alone a family suv, no thanks!