View Single Post
      12-31-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Hi,

Brings back memories - I had a new CLK500 on a 52 plate when they came out - noise was good but I always found the interior a rather cheap mix of C Class (the orange bits) and E Class (the white dials). Quality was never up to the previous model IMO. I did get a nice walnut steering wheel - which looked great but always rattled on my wedding ring. The AMGs on the car above are 18"s by the way - the previous model had the 17"s.

I sold this a got a new 03 SL500 (happy days with more disposable!) - I'm amazed you think the CLK was better as the R230 SL was IMO a massive leap in quality. They are big cars but the air suspension made the car handle really well. The SL interior was in a totally different class to the CLK. I recall even the interior mirror had a memory function linked to the seats - you moved it by hand, but the car remembered how it was set when the seats were changed and it moved electrically - amazing attention to detail. The only worry I had was that I feared how much it would cost to keep running once a few years old - it felt totally solid but it had so many black boxes it was staggering. I did get a SL350, but this was not as good in terms of engine noise or ride (didn't have the airmatic suspension).

Hence, complexity aside, the SL would get my vote every time - mine was obsidian with black leather and black wood with 18" AMGs - an absolute treat!

Identical to this one (but without the front SL55 bumper)

http://www.petrolheads.co.uk/sales/776066.htm
Appreciate 0