09-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
lol yeah. It is like saying the sun is bright or that water is wet. Dealerships are amongst the worst...

This isn't directly correlated to Dimon's comments on the need for the business community to focus more broadly than their current narrow definition of profits (shocking that shift is taking this long...). It is more related to the real market trends impacting automakers going forward.

The non-luxury brands are packing more and more luxury features into their cars as intense competition has forced automakers to move more and more of their key features to third party suppliers who sell to every other automaker. As a result, everyone has all of the same tech features and non-luxury brands offer high end features like leather interiors. Couple that with technology moving rapidly toward turning the driver into a passenger and luxury differentiation isn't going to get easier for automakers.

Luxury carmakers have no choice, IMHO, but to go back to luxury basics. The definitive differentiator between luxury and non-luxury in most industries is quality of service and relationships. So far, luxury carmakers have ignored this. I expect we'll see this change a ton soon otherwise these brands will eventually fade away.
I think that is a great comment. Look at the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Pallisade and compare them to the luxury competitors. I have a partner who makes an extraordinary good living and he has an X5 and is about to replace it with a Hyundai Pallisade; he can afford a new X5 but he doesn't think it is worth the extra money compared to the new Hyundai.
Appreciate 0