11-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
protamine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
My thoughts:

CB is a great color. I have some kind of metallic black on current car, also looks great. A coworker has the Alpine white G30, and me personally, with the black grill and other black trim stuff, thinks it looks bad.

I try to stay away from low profile tires for ride quality and cost of replacement and fragility. First thing I do on all of these cars is ditch the runflats and put on proper tires.

I love the lighter colors, especially the white/off white thing, which I have now. Kids are not a problem - just wipe up any spills, and try to reduce the amount of eating and non-water beverages that could stain.
My silly phone (Note 9) won't fit in the cradle, so that feature is useless for me. HUD is great. I don't care for the dynamic handling and stuff like that, as I don't care for electronic interventions beyond ABS.

Ceramic controls are nice but not worth the money, really.

No interior pics, sorry, but I can take some if no one else steps-up.

Also, as others noted, there is a lot more in an ///M car than just the engine. The 550 ain't 95% of an M5. Not by any means. That said, I'm not sure the price difference is worth it if you're not going to track it. The capabilities are just so high, it's a waste for driving on road.

In fact, I feel that way about the V8 as well. It's a big premium for a performance improvement that you will rarely use. The I6 is actually a bit more responsive in "normal" driving. I say this coming from an F01 750i which is not the same animal, but not too different. I don't miss the extra 100 or so horsepower, and I appreciate the $12K (or whatever it is) that I saved. You also get hammered pretty hard in resale on the V8.

Appreciate the input from everyone. Sounds like we want different things in a car. I want comfy that can sharpen up and then slam me in my seat. So I want a V8, and as we know they're going by the wayside. I've had a E92 and know how good a BMW I6 turbo can be. But for the same reasons I'll avoid Audi and Mercedes - BMW offers a V8 while the others dont. Obviously I want a M5, but spec'ed out the way I want its 115k. Significantly more than the 87-92 that I'd be looking in the M550i. Since I'm not going to track it, I cant imagine it being worth 25k more than the 550. With only 75 hp difference now (and chippable), I seriously doubt I'd get the handling nuances. Who knows. There's always the next one.

I'd be ready to order this summer (especially if I go Merino and have a 2-3 month delay). I wouldnt mind seeing the 2021 LCI announcement (will the 2020 be a special 1 year only configuration). Of course there will be some 19-20 M5s around to cross shop. I guess its a good position to be in.

Former:
17 911 GTS - 69 Camaro SS 396 - 08 E92 335xi - JB4, 12.2@115
Appreciate 0