View Single Post
      06-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Why are lightning laps a bad measurement? While ill agree that the cars are driven by journalists, its not like these guys are off the street and each car is driven multiple times. The SS did not do the same time as the ZL1, it was 4 seconds behind at 3:01 (which is also faster than the M6). VIR is far from the tightest, most technical track out there with at least 3 long straights. Of course the cars are different, but that isn't any excuse for a lap time. You can't say a Rolls Royce would be flying around here if they focused on speed instead of luxury, same goes for the M6. Lap times are lap times.

I like BMW just as much as the next guy, but you said it yourself; they're luxury cars, and a performance like this is what happens when you're 4000+ lbs.
Lap times are not lap times. A car that excels on a long straight away track can be horrible on a tighter shorter track.

1. They use a bunch of different non-professional drivers, which equals inconsistency.

2. All the cars have different tire brands and sizes. This is just the beginning but there are just to many variables in the tests. You need control or the numbers are meaningless.

Yes the SS was slower but they even said they messed up on their best lap and needed better tires and it would neck and neck with the ZL1. This shows maybe the drivers can't handle that chassis more power. When you race you build a driving style. Some people are better with high momentum driving. Some are better with low momentum high powered cars. To be honest I recommend doing some track events and learning the craft.

If you ever raced the Nurburgring you learn real quick that magazine numbers are just that numbers. I am not saying this to defend the M6 or BMW I am saying this because people read magazines and take their numbers as gospel.
Appreciate 0