United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Have to agree, this is one of the reasons I don't have a BMW in my garage for the first time in over 20 years.

Another problem is the competition is closing the gap when it comes to handling/driving dynamics. Back in the 90's and early 2000's, the 3,5, and even 7 series were best handling in their class with no cars coming close except maybe the G35/7 but they had a large gap in how it drove in comparison to the rest of the class.

Now, while the BMWs still do have some sportiness, the class has caught up, and some cars have even surpassed BMW in the handling/driving dynamics such as Alfa, Jaguar, some Cadillacs and even some Mercedes.

I understand that BMW is chasing sales numbers, and I don't blame them, whatever their doing is working, as they surpassed Mercedes as the #1 luxury manufacturer this year so far, but in the process, they have lost me until they make a product that I find to be "The Ultimate Driving Machine"
I wish that BMW would have followed the Porsche model, where they created the Cayenne to expand their line-up and get more R&D money to support their specialty vehicles.

The main difference I see is that BMW expands the line-up (how many SUVs do they have now?!) and waters down the existing/iconic cars, where as Porsche expands the line-up to strengthen the existing/iconic cars.
BMW sells more than 50% SUV while Porsche sells more than like 80% SUV? Different level of subsidy I suppose?
Appreciate 0