01-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #49
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
No, I'm assuming they are all doing it to some extent. And, no, I don't trust a developer to not collect my data when I haven't given explicit permission.

The apps/permissions thing was brought up for those who don't know what's going on, and giving them something to think about and consider. Same goes for social media sites like Facebook, I'm sure most know by now it is sole purpose is to gather and sell user data.

Here's another example to consider. Ever have a verbal, in person discussion with someone and mention a product, only to see ads start popping up for that product? Guess what, it's not a coincidence. That's your phone/tablet/echo/dot/whatever mic listening, processing and selling.

I haven't read the GDPR, and I have no idea how effective it is in EU. But, yes, the US needs something to stop what is happening here.

Anyway, this has gone a bit OT, but I think it's relevant as any and all personal data that is collected with/out our knowledge is detrimental to us in the end. The small amount of benefit to us in trade is negligible.
If I'm understanding how this discussion (GDPR and apps like google and facebook collecting data without us knowing) relates to the topic at hand (insurance wanting to know our driving habits)...
Is it the point that, since those apps are already collecting data and they will sell to insurance, with of without our permission, that we should open wide and enjoy the rape and maybe we get thrown a bone at the end, however small of a bone that may be?

Last edited by MPBK; 01-21-2020 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0