Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Relax, I copy and pasted exactly what you said, I wasn't trying to hide your post. What's the point when anyone can go back to it.

You kept implying M cars are so great, why? It's just a machine with parts working in unison.

So tell me, what now makes an M car so superior beside the bragging rights?
I never implied M cars were great. I repeatedly said that the M340i is a great car and that I'd prefer one if it also came with a manual. All I said was that the M340i is not an M car. It seems like you're implying being an M car is so great. To me, one is a track ready car, the other is a premium fast road car made to be a daily driver. It's all about preference. I think too many people buy M cars not realizing they'd be better served with an M Sport inline 6 like the M340i (you realize the M340i is essentially the new 340i M Sport with all sport options ticked off right?). They just buy the M car because they perceive it's better mainly because it costs the most. I live in an area where people buy it who barely have any idea what they're driving. And it sounds like you share that perception. To me, it's just a choice. It's like the difference between yellow and green. One may cost more, but you get the one that you need, not the one that just costs more.

I'll say it again, if the M340i came in a manual, I'd definitely be buying one. But my next car will probably be the G80 because of the transmission alone.
Fair enough.

Look, I previously loved the concept of an M car not because of the name but what equipment that was attached to it, which gave it a discernible advantage over standard models, you knew the extra money was well spent, now the difference is so minimal, I feel like you're just paying for the name.

Back in 2008, when I got into BMW from Minis, they didn't have this many various models, the entry-level price for an M car with NA V8, aluminum components, Adaptive Suspension, electronic LSD, ITB, M iDrive Control, ect. You would have to spend a minimum of $75,000 for the price of admission to a E92 M3.

The fact that BMW throws in most of the above for standard M Performance line takes away the pizazz and uniqueness that they once commanded, IMHO. It's like walking into a store and seeing Coke and Pepsi, at the end of the day, most really can't tell the difference, so they go with which one is cheaper or sale because they pretty much all the same.

I predict to further separate the official M models from the M Performance variants, for the next generation, would be the manual option; everything else would pretty much be equivalent, as BMW continue to blur the lines between M Cars and M Performance line, in the name of profits, from everyone that wants an equivalently equipped vehicle.

The fact is that the M model line-up in general have now reach a plateau in performance and handling, to the point there is no way to go beside electric, so enjoy this last generation of real M cars with combustion engines before they disappear and this dispute is moot.
Appreciate 0