05-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
I don't have a herniated disc but I do have foraminal spinal stenosis (somewhat common), basically the narrowing of the spine which can cause pinched nerves.
As I got older it was happening more and more.
The pain is debilitating.
I'm bedridden for the first couple days when it occurs then I can start slowly gimping around like a 90 year old man, but the slightest twist of the spine during this period and I get a full body shock of shooting pain.
Bad enough where I let out a yelp every time and have to control my breathing so as not to have my back tighten up too much again and cause more pressure against the nerve.
It's especially difficult for someone like me who is active and fit.

After a couple bouts with this I was given a book by Pete Egoscue "Pain Free".
It really changed my quality of life.
It basically explains how most injuries can be managed with the proper daily exercises/stretches AND posture.
The exercises are forms of basic yoga stretches/posses.
It also goes over how improper posture or gate in your walk can and usually does affect other areas of your body.
It's broken down into chapters that target specific injuries/parts of the body and discusses which exercises are best.

After doing the exercises 20 min every morning for a couple months I was mostly pain free for 5 years.
It's something that will need to be my daily routine for the rest of my life, SO worth it though.
Just had another bout 2 months ago only because I was too sedentary at work in a crap chair.
But I'm back to normal again and have added other stretches to my morning routine.

I recommend this book to any of my friends with back injuries which seems to be more and more.
Probably due to poor posture and sitting at a desk staring at a monitor for hours on end without taking breaks to walk around and stretch.
I found this is what worked for me, but everyone is different.
Good luck with your progress.

Last edited by Irishsig; 05-06-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 1