LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
I think RFT are awesome for short distance, back and forth daily driving. No immediate effort required in case of a flat vs putting the spare on by yourself by the roadside. You get a leak on the RFT, you drive back home\dealer, order a tire, get the tire replaced day(s) later.

Now, here's what I was never able to wrap my head around and it seems to me like a disaster waiting to happen. Say I go on a road trip, RFT gets punctured and I need a new tire. I am some 150 miles away from home and it's a Saturday 1am. Cannot turn around and drive back that far with no air even on a RFT. No, I cannot keep stopping every 5 miles trying to use compressor on the tire, the air is leaking badly. Its not something I can patch via some spray either. What are my choices now? Get a flat bed and get the car towed to BMW\my house that seems to be the only choice. Cancel the road trip, get a hotel and wait till the car is back on the road LOL

In my opinion this is beyond crazy. A simple tire puncture will turn into a mini, middle of the night project. I would end-up being stranded, waiting for a flatbed, getting the car to a dealer or some shop, maybe my house, then getting the new tire (it may or may not be in stock so wait time) installed. Insane effort vs jack-up a car, change the tire and off I go. Done. I would be mobile again in 30min.

So help me understand, what do you do in a scenario like that? Keep your fingers crossed cause "statistically" scenario like that may not happen? What am I missing?

Side note, I hit a pothole about a month ago. RFT side was ripped badly, about an inch of missing layer of rubber. I turned around and drove back home about 50 miles with zero air in that tire. Two days later I got a new tire installed. Needles to say whatever plans I had that day were completely ruined.

Side note #2, I drive on 19 inch RFT Conti ProContact SSR (stock 540xi msport). I don't mind the noise or ride quality and they have not bubbled in 3 years. I drive in tri-sate area so roads are bad. I feel like RFT have improved vastly over the years.
That situation is the same unless you have a full sized spare which is unavailable on the G30. You’re limited to ~50 miles in both cases with the RFT being more convenient in that you can keep going without any roadside delays.

If it were me I’d hotel up and get a tire swap in the AM. Not the option I’d love, but it is one of the risks of travel. I treat it similarly to any number of other realistic road hazards I can encounter... What if a truck kicks up a rock that badly wrecks my windshield? I am not going to drive another 5 hours unable to see the road...

If you are super worried traveling during the day greatly increases the chance a dealer or tire shop is nearby and open...
Appreciate 0