astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
I once had a 530d as a loaner and I loved it. It flew off the mark and sounded brilliant. In fact I almost bought one. I went to my dealer and drove a 530d and 530i back to back. Both are great engines and worthy of living in my garage. I could not find one with the options I wanted and then ended up going with the 335.

About 18 months ago, we had a 320i for about 11 months. I would have definitely bought the 320d if it had been available at the time. The 2.0 petrol motor had zero grunt down low and should never have been placed in such a fine chassis.

Good luck with the car.

the 5 series diesel is a great car, i had the pleasure of driving one for a few days a little while back

i didn't mind the 320i though, i had fun with my loaner

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoJB View Post
I agree with CaptOZ on the 320i engine. I sold my '05 320i a couple of months ago and am glad to see the back of it. Everything about the car was great but the 110Kw engine felt like a 90Kw engine - you'd even notice a difference with the aircon off...
try driving a renault megane

Quote:
The 320d wasn't out when I got mine but I likely would have chosen that over the petrol. Saying that, I'm a bit of a petrol purist; I'd trade off the torque and fuel savings for the feeling/sound of a straight six any day, but that's just me. If it were 320d vs 320i though, I'd get the d anytime as the BMW 4 cyl engines can't compare to the 'd's or the sixes.
agreed that the 6's are great in a bmw... and they all have that distinctive sound too, i love that

Quote:
I missed the six in my '04 325Ci pretty much every day that I drove the 320i and now I'm driving my 130i, I doubt I'll ever go back to a 4cyl BMW engine again.
I love my 325Ci too

did you have teh coupe or vert?

Quote:
I didn't want to stretch to the price of a 325i again (I think they're a bit of a rip off in Aus), but to be honest I would look towards other manufacturers now, rather than getting a 4cyl BMW again.
that's sensible, there are other very good cars out there for the same money or less

Quote:
The engine is just such a large component of the BMW experience, I feel that the 4cyl engines don't do the brand justice.
agreed! the drive is what makes a bmw a bmw!