01-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I can't imagine anyone arguing that the factory soft suspension would outperform a competition designed version on the track.

Seems pretty silly but that's what I'm reading in your post.
i'm not really sure how you jumped to this conclusion from my post. in fact, it makes me wonder if you even read it. my initial post is not questioning why anyone would upgrade their suspension. it's not suggesting that no aftermarket suspension is better than an oem one. the point that i'm making and that a couple of you got and couple did not is that i don't understand why some people think that by simply installing better hardware than their car comes w/ stock that their car is suddenly better. the missing ingredient here is tuning and testing. just because something subjectively feels better doesn't mean it actually performs better. that's what lap times are for. a high five to your buddy working his 5th beer doesn't shave 3 seconds off of your lap time. in fact, it's quite likely you just added time to your lap time. the cars come "balanced" from the factory. whether or not you like that balance is up to you. and changing it can certainly be fun and rewarding. but how can people tweak one variable in isolation and call it a day? that simply doesn't make sense to me.

edit: i found an article that discusses my point precisely (and technically) in the context of brakes. for those that missed my point entirely, please give it a read and come back and share your thoughts. thanks.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...ech/index.html
Appreciate 0