Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
I think you are confusing the x6 with the Raum Funktionales Fahrzeug. The X6 is designed to compete with the Range Rover Sport. It will be a four/five seater with less room than the X5 but build off the same chassis and components - it is designed to be sportier, will look sportier and be lower to the ground, and more expensive than the X5.

The MB R class competitor (RFF) has not yet been greenlighted by the supervisory board, even though it is in advanced stages of planning. The tepid market reaction to the R class are apparently making BMW cautious about approving it.
Perhaps you don't know: The R-Class is already on the road...

They planned to build a MPV or Raum Funktionales Fahrzeug as you called it. But it's not in line with the BMW-thinking of building cars. BMW-cars should've always a sporty flavour, a MPV doesn't have that. Maybe a sort of coupe-style MPV, with the size: between the touring and normal MPV, in the future, I don't know.

You're right that in competition it perhaps comes closer to the Range Rover Sport, but as you can in the pictures: it is lower but not shorter. So the shape of the car is more in line with the Merc R-Class.

A pic of the R-Class, its shape does look like the spied X6:

Name:  wallpaper_small_852499_1127317016.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  47.3 KB

Coupe-styled (low), SUV-styled (big wheels, chunky bumpers), MPV-styled (lot's of room, but in a BMW this is always relative)

BMW - Maßstab für Fahrspaß

Last edited by Joop!; 12-30-2006 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: added picture R-Class
Appreciate 0