View Single Post
      02-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I think US spec cars are limited to 150 mph. I don't need to go faster than that often, but knowing I can is a plus. Not to mention, I'll do a track day at Hockenheim now and again and I don't want to bounce off the speed limiter on the long lefthand sweeper.

As long as I'm in Germany speeds over 150 mph are legal! I usually set the cruise at 130 mph on unlimited sections of the Autobahn. 130 mph is my comfy normal.
I'm pretty sure most German BMW dealers will do it for a small charge. GOOD luck in the US. Way to litigious over here.

As for mods, from most to least expensive
Dinan: Reflash. Easy to install. Moderate power gains. Warranty. $2k, another $2k for oil cooler if you don't have sport package.
Procede: Piggyback. Difficult to install without prior electrical experience. Small degree of user tunability, 2nd highest power tune, atm. $1600
Activeautowerke: Piggyback. Slightly easier than Procede to install. Similar power to Dinan flash. Maps for individual modifications available.$1200
Helix Atache: Piggyback. Similar install to Procede. Highest power gains (78whp on Mustang dyno, on an otherwise un-modded car)but relatively untested, though the tuner has a good reputation. Maps for individual modifications available. Custom tuning available. Will run two maps, which can be changed with a switch, that can be mounted anywhere. $800
Juice Box: Piggyback. Easier to install than the above, but don't try it blindfolded. Slightly less peak power than Procede. Current record holder for the quickest 335i, with a 11.8 second 1/4th mile from the inventor. $400-700, depending on exact setup.
SSTT: Simple to install if you have any mechanical expertice. Minimal power gains (20-30whp on a dynojet, on average. More for some, less for some). Bulletproof reliability. $599, thanks for the correction.
Appreciate 0