Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
That's okay it's nice to talk on this thread rather then me just post my stuff

Oh wow! They should be able to heat it up and then they can be straightened out. Just goes to show how firm the runflats are and how soft the alloys are in comparrison. Is the bulge just before the E on the tyre?

What's your thoughts after sorting this... getting into a set of 19's with non runflats?
Thanks!

Well spotted bulge is just before the E.

I was hoping to be able to wear the run flats down and then replace them with non run flats on these wheels, as I like the wheels. Logic was that as the tyres are 245 & 275's although the profile is less than the orignial 255x35x19's I had on the previous F31's (which both came with rft), the actual tyre wall would be more and probably acceptable for a while. I now know that not to be the case

So first step is to try to get them repaired, according to my wheel guy it should be possible, but no guarantees and they will require a refurb as well due to the heating up and work to reshape. If that's sucessful I'll get him to refit the tyres and see how they are. Current thoughts are, if they are okay I will likely fit a set of non run flats to them and that will be my summer set.

I've always had a set of winters in the garage for my previous cars as our son lives in Germany and we go there quite often, especially in the winter, and if it ever does get bad over here I like the confidence of going anywhere without too much of a problem. So I would then as a second step get some 19" wheels, non run flats but may consider all seasons as long as they have the snow symbols.

In saying all that if they are not repairable I either have to splash out on 2 new wheels at around £1400 less a bit of discount, but in doing that wouldn't risk using RFT again so plus a set of tyres as well. If it's looking that way my other thought is just to get a set of 19's non RFT and enjoy those and wait and see if any good second hand 1001M alloys come up for sale. Unfortunately in the 'M Sport Edition' 5er which mine is, they only did 1000 of them and the 1001M wheels were bespoke to those cars, so could be a long wait? I'll see how the repair goes first.

Can I ask, do you have any size issuse with the Conti and the x-Drive allowable tollerences at the moment? I'm doing some research into rolling circumferences / diameters etc to see if non * tyres are within BMW limits, but not easy as manufacturers produce tyre in accordance with ETRTO ( European Tyre and Rim Technical Information) that has a +1.5% & -2.5% (mm) tolerence. So I trying to work backwards from spec info on Goodyear * RFT
Appreciate 0