View Single Post
      01-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
Zereldo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Your understanding is correct. You'll get better charging efficiency and speed out of a 16A @ 240V than you would out of a 16A @ 120V.

From my understanding, you can reuse an existing socket with something like the TurboCord, but it is advised to not be using anything else on the line at the same time. As the EV will pull its power load 100% of the time it is charging compared to something like a dryer which will have small bursts at the peak range. So running both could trip the breaker and overload the line.

I would check for any incentives for adding a dedicated EVSE first and if that doesn't pan out then I'd see if using a turbo cord can work out. They can be had on eBay for a reasonable price and if they can do the job for you that's great. Also, the BMW TurboCord should be covered under your car warranty since it is BMW OEM and, at least in the US, that would get warranty coverage from BMW. YMMV on this though as I don't know if it is the same in Canada.

I've used Battery Control to charge on the rare case I want a charge at my destination (for preconditioning), but I forgot to set it before I left home to hold the charge instead of making it. I find it is going to cost you ~10MPG or so if you're able to do it at highway speeds. A fairly expensive way to charge, but cheaper than many public chargers.

Glad I could help. Love my 530e and always happy to exchange information with other owners
The BMW TurboCord has specific plug (Not conventional) meant for 20 AMP 240 V outlets. I am leaning towards installing this outlet on a dedicated circuit.

The dryer outlet I have is on a dedicated circuit and not shared with any applience in the household. Utilizing the dryer outlet may not be ideal since I won't be using it to it's maximum potential. There is also the matter of purchasing an aftermarket charging cord that will fit the dryer outlet. BMW Turbo cord will not work here.

BMW will cover a turbocord purchased off of ebay? I do have factory warranty for a year and a half but I doubt they would cover items that didn't come with the car or not purcahsed from a dealership. Given that is the case (i will look into it), I can potentially purchase a turbo cord that is perhaps faulty at a cheaper price and have BMW repair/replace it.

Lots of aftermarket options for level 2 charging cords, not sure which one is best after BMW turbo cord. They also seem to be priced around the same as a used turbocord, in which case I would lean toward OE.

I will look into any incentives. Would the power company be the one I should reach out to?

"Glad I could help. Love my 530e and always happy to exchange information with other owners "

Thank you! You're very kind.
Appreciate 0