01-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #62
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
I had done the adoption program last year where they send several bottles over several months and had used most of them with a few months so didnt check at the time tbh. I just checked an empty bottle i had kept and an unopened bottle and actually they both also have the 5/30/20 use by date so I would ask too.

I often get gallon cans sent over direct from friends/family in Sicily from local farms which are not in any branded cans and have no labels no dates nothing!!! But they are bottled(canned in this case) fresh and then sent direct so its truly the best oil, but for most peps its too pricey to go this route.
Here is what they wrote back:

The expiration is not an actual expiration. It’s just when the olio nuovo (new harvest). We pack it after picking and for up to 2yr it’s still considered a New oil. In that time it’s natural filtration process mellows it out and the oil is just a filtered version of itself. It will be less acerbic and smoother. That’s the great thing about olive oil. It develops different levels of flavors as it matures.

And. A traditional oil you find on the shelf is already 2 yrs old by the time it gets to the shelf and then has an additional shelf life. As long as it’s stores in a cool dry place you should be fine open or not.

The bottles has a much longer shelf life than 2020. That’s just what we are required to put because it’s labeled Olio nuovo.