ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have noticed that it takes awhile for the consumers to adjust to new designs, especially if they are enthralled and fixated on an outgoing model's design.

The E46 coupe has a smaller, more blocky design with rounded corners, which gives it a formal, but refined look that is very business-like, similar to the previous E39 5-series (a sedan I love). The small size of the E46 M3 lead to the use of flared fenders to accomodate the more aggressive footprint, which made it look even more aggressive.

The E9x design is larger, with fenders that flare less noticeably. The body is more sculpted and fluid (as opposed to squarish and rounded at the edges). So in terms of the E46's traditional sporty look, the E90, E92, E93 are different, but distinctive in a different way. Hell, some are probably still hung up on the E30 M3 design. The E46 is no E30 either.

Wait till the real thing comes out, and be patient. I imagine any significant styling reservations you may have at first will be quickly overshadowed by the car's raw performance. You may, in time, even begin to like the look of the new 3.