clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Is it? From my understanding both use a 48V crankshaft mounted integrated starter generator. The one in the Merc seems to be a bit more powerful (22PS vs 11PS), but it's the same technique. At least that's what I thought...

545e is the perfect car. I have that combination in my X5 and if they will keep the same 90km electric range in the G30 that would be banger. But the 530e has only 65km range, so I guess they will fit that battery the 545e as well. I hope I can order the 545e early enough to get it, once I have to return my X5 in October. Otherwise I have to wait until August next year (I'm able to do 10 month leases).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is 2021 540i mild hybrid behave the same way as E53 mild hybrid? Think the E53 mild hybrid is more than just starter (which might not be a good thing in terms of out warranty fix...)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...es-inline-six/

4. An Electric Supercharger
The M256 is turbocharged to develop high output from a small displacement, and that means there is the potential of turbo lag under some circumstances. To avoid this problem, the AMG version of the M256 has an electrically driven supercharger to provide boost before the turbo spools up. This supercharger, which is located downstream of the turbocharger, uses a centrifugal flow compressor—like the compressor side of a turbo—driven by a 48-volt electric motor. It spins to 70,000 rpm and can develop a peak boost pressure of about 6.6 psi. That’s enough to provide strong engine response while the turbo gets up to speed, at which point a check valve closes and the turbo takes over from the electric supercharger.

edit: and Non-AMG Mercedes-Benz models will employ a lower-output version of the M256, without the electric supercharger but with the motor/generator and 48-volt systems. It’s rated at 362 horsepower as installed in the CLS450.

that's why I thought the E53 48V system is fancier

Last edited by clee1982; 05-30-2020 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Flamingi529.50