View Single Post
      04-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #20
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Yes, but from the previous owner. I noticed it driving it home from purchase.

The synchros are a known weakness in the F30 transmission. I drove 3 manuals before my purchase, and 2 of them had bad synchros.

Every car I've ever driven has been a manual, and never have the synchros been a problem.

p.s. They added rev matching for the SAME reason people learn to do it heel-and-toe...so as not to upset the chassis mid-corner during performance driving (or even casual driving), NOT in order to save wear on synchros.
I can agree with that - that the primary purpose of the rev-match feature was not to save wear on the synchros but to prevent the chassis from getting upset and to prevent drivetrain shock when downshifting, even in a straight line.

Yes you can use the synchros to downshift by letting the clutch out slower. But a rev match will be faster if done properly and allows you to get back on the gas quicker (since you're not on the clutch).

If the synchros are a known weak point for F30's - I would even go as far to say that it MIGHT be possible that using them more would make any potential flaws noticeable sooner. Or any drivetrain shock from an incorrect downshift without rev matching (i.e. the clutch was dumped too soon causing a shock) could mess them up more than a synchro that doesn't have these issues.

That last part is just a guess - but there's no denying that rev matching in general can be useful for these cars.
Appreciate 1
AudiA4649.00