06-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
These "Dinan is dead" stories have been popping up for over a decade from time to time like recycled facebook memes or email warnings about alligators in toilets.

For my part, my dealer installed it, supports it and I have had zero issues. Compared to most other tunes, at least there is a fighting chance to handle a dispute if one occurs. Other solutions and you are likely SOL. Get it installed by a BMW authorized dealer and most issues are pretty clear as to liability.
The Dinan tune is still the "safest" of them IMO as it does have the most testing and closest contact with BMW engineers and history. Plus they do have the umbrella warranty that no one else offers. This is why I have one on my 2017 340i and have been happy, no issues, doesn't seem like it's over working the car and it is still an everyday driver.. never threw a single code. So I would not discount them simply because dealers are stepping away. But I think the premium Dinan charges may be in question now. They do sales a few times a year that knock off 10 or 15%, that makes it more reasonable.

While they are not dead, it is true that Dinan was sold, it's closer partnership with BMW and dealers is over, and there is some sort of bad blood there as BMW is distancing it's self from any connection with Dinan. So it comes down to that they are just another 3rd party tuner company at this point. But like I said, knowing that - it was still my choice, and probably will continue to be for many others due to what I mentioned above.

BTW - I turn my leased 340 in later this week (got M550i landing this week). I just pulled my Dinan tonight and am posting it for sale now, it's for a MPPSK configured car. PM if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0