03-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #139
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongym View Post
I find it ridiculous for anyone to claim that they want an automatic transmission based solely on it being faster. I'm sorry, please tell me again how can you 'feel' the difference between a 0-60 time of 5.9sec versus 6.1sec. If you race your car regularly with heavy mods etc., fine. If you simply prefer the simplicity of the automatic, fine. But if all you want is bragging rights on the specs of your car, or to say it's the fastest version of that particular car, I think you have the wrong priorities.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's how I feel.

For my own case, I didn't think my wife wanted to learn to drive a manual, and now that she does want to learn I regret having gotten my F30 with the 8speed auto.
I'll take on an automatic transmission car any day with a manual trans. Sure the current 8-sp auto in the F30 can "shift faster than any human" and drop the 0 - 60 time a few tenths of a second, but that's not the whole story. On the road, with a skilled driver operating a manual transmission the manual car willl be quicker and more engaging to drive.
Appreciate 0