05-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #13
SS_ATX
SS_ATX
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I would compare them side by side and see where they stack up for you. I'm a major fan of the 530e and don't see a reason to buy the 530i over the 530e, but there are no one size fits all solutions so either car is a very valid choice in any individual circumstance. Up until MY2021 (the LCI) the price for the 530i and 530e were identical, but the Federal Tax break could slightly move the needle on the 530e. Perhaps the pre-owned 530e is discounted slightly to account for this break? I haven't looked.

I am not aware of any special reliability problems on the 530e over the 530i, but keep in mind that the HV battery in the 530e is warrantied for 8Y/100K Miles (10Y/150K miles in CARB states) and electric motors are less likely to breakdown compared to ICE motors so you're usually worried about the HV battery on the EV side and not the motor itself.

Fuel economy for me on the 530e has been fantastic. It is better the more you can charge it. You also get "climitization" support which is very much like Remote Start (Remote Start is only on the LCI MY2021+ otherwise).

I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences and opinions as well.
FYI: The federal tax credit only applies to new electric vehicles. It can’t be claimed on pre-owned. That said, I’d still go with the 530e.
Appreciate 0