View Single Post
      03-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #171
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I've driven many types of transmissions. Honestly, the traditional H pattern w/ clutch is only good for some fun/enthusiast driving. It's not built for the track, even though it obviously can be used, but hey, so can an AT. The H pattern is too error-prone and you can easily misshift, causing some potentially serious damage. I have DCT in my E92 M3, and I really enjoy it 90% of the time. I've taken it on the track and it's great for upshifts. On downshifts it's kinda retarded sometimes. I've driven true dogbox racing SMG's in entry level formula cars, and they're great on the track.

I'm actually looking at getting my hands on a used Radical SR3 RS next year w/ a 6spd SMG dogbox. I will also be doing Euro delivery on a new 550i in 2 weeks! I opted for the 8spd sports AT w/ paddles. Sometimes I miss having an H pattern, as I did on my '89 325i, but when I sit in LA traffic I'm glad I don't have a clutch for my DD.
no disrespect to you, and you seem to have a lot more track driving experience than I do, as ive only been on track for probably 25 total days....but I cant agree with you on how easy it is to mis-shift in a normal manual. I have never missed a gear on track or on the street. now, not being totally smooth on a downshift while driving hard on track, sure. but not missing a shift and throwing it into the wrong gear.