View Single Post
      07-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #29
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My son came home with 2 yesterday. He was over helping gpa clean out the garage. Now, neither has any air pressure, both have lots of rust to match the 2 we already have.

Question though: How much would one spend on a vintage (80's probably) Trek? The rear sprocket broke during cleaning and 2 spokes now have nowhere to live. I'm worried the kid has never ridden on pizza cutters, he used to mountain bikes. His buddies love riding and he went a few times, but can't keep up with a bike that only pedals in 4th gear.

I told him take all 4 to a shop and get an estimate to get them running: tubes, tires, derailer/brake adjustments, some LOObrication.
So if spokes are flopping loose it wasn't the sprocket that broke it was the hub. You'll need a new rear wheel. Old bikes are like old BMWs, if you can't do the work yourself they're not worth it. You can find nice shape fully working 80's road bikes for $150-$200 all day long. I once bought a TREK full carbon bike with Sante ($$) group for $175. Don't spend a lot at the bike shop for this one.
Appreciate 0