View Single Post
      04-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
M550ix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive

2 Problems and not even 3000 miles

I just picked up a 2018 M550i Xdrive. I love my car but am having either 2 distinct issues or 1 issue causing the other.

The first is happening over 80 MPH and gets progressively worse and more pronounced as the speed goes up. The car feels, for lack of a better term, loose. Not planted. And if I am making a lane change the car seems to continue in the direction of the change and takes a minor steering correction to bring it back center. I guess floaty is a good word but not like an old Cadillac. In any case, I have driven plenty of cars (none a BMW) over 80 MPH and none ever felt disconnected like this car. And in all of those previous cases been able to do it one handed. This car there is no way I am taking either hand off the steering wheel over 90 at 100 it's a 2 handed death grip. If it's nature of the beast (which I doubt) it's very disappointing for such a performance oriented car.

The other is the Lane Control Assist/Traffic Jam Assist and this would apply to any BMW using this feature really. It doesn't keep the car centered in the lane. I've read the manual and spoken to the guru line. When the lane keep assist is activated and the lines and steering wheel picture are green the car should stay centered in the lane. Mine is not centered and drives kinda drunk. Coming into or out of a turn it will hug the left or the right and bounce back and forth between white lines as opposed to staying centered. With traffic Jam set when resuming it will make a dramatic move left or right, then center and as speed climbs it does the same thing described as driving drunk earlier. Please do not start a philosophical debate about using this feature in this kind of car. I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing either of these issues with the same or similar car.

One of my thoughts is that issue one may be causing issue 2 although it's rare that when the cruise is set that the car is at or exceeding 80 MPH. But it is possible the car is reacting to whatever issue one is but I just can't feel it under 80.
Appreciate 0