View Single Post
      06-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #29
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

i have followed this thread with interest, and i have a slightly different approach suggestion that I used many years ago on my first Corvette, a used '67 coupe bought in 1974. I lived in Cambridge MA near Boston at the time, which was notorious for car thefts. What I did was install a small solenoid in the fuel line with an on off switch so I could shut off the fuel when I parked. I installed a small rocker switch under the carpet on the the passenger side of the console where only I knew it was. It was not visible through the carpet. When I parked I turned it off. Sure enough, one Saturday night while it was parked in downtown Boston when I was visiting a friend, it got stolen. When we realized it was gone, we started walking around the neighborhood and in fact did find it a couple of blocks away parked on the street. It had run fine on the fuel in the float bowls but then just died and the crooks parked it. I called the police, a cruiser stopped by and I said I wanted to file a stolen car report. They refused to do so. The cop said, "Kid, there are hundreds of Corvettes stolen in Boston every year. Yours is the first one we've ever seen recovered. Be happy and go home." So I did.

Now, I am not sure you would really want to cut into your fuel line and do something like this on today's cars, but maybe one could wire an on/off switch to the fuel pump (s). Wouldn't deter crooks with a tow truck but might slow down others. As to the hidden switch, here are a couple of pics of a similar installation I did in my '95 ZR-1 (in this case to control electric exhaust cutouts). Just my little ol' $.02--Bob
Attached Images

Mosaud19983939.00