07-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
So, as I discovered soon after I got my car in Feb, autobraking is automatic if a pedestrian or obstruction is detected in front of the car... radar and cameras are used

A bit disconcerting if you are following a bus slowly and the car slams on brakes for you and gives you whiplash when it is totally unnecessary... but this week I had an even bigger shock

So I am going along a road at about 40mph with a car close on my tail (but still safe)... and I pass pedestrians on the pavement to my left, not on the road.... and out of the blue the cameras detect these and slam on anchors even though the pedestrian is NOT in my line of travel... crapped myself as the beeps went mad and the brakes automatically and violently engaged... and the driver behind me nearly popped a rivet, thinking I'm driving like a learner driver... nearly crashed into my rear

Just be prepared for an over-sensitive technology... I think it's dangerous myself!
There would appear to be calibration issue with yours? I would go have it checked out. It should not pick up any pedestrian or vehicles that isn't in your line of travel.

I've had this function on various BMWs now for a couple of years and have never had this issue. In fact, it saved me from an accident in the i3 just a week ago. I was going slowly at maybe 30kmh in traffic and got distracted by a bicycle merging towards me from the left. As I look to my left the car in front stopped suddenly due to another car suddenly stopping in front of him to do an illegal right turn (into McDonald's of all places) and the car beeped and started the emergency braking process before I then took over the braking. If I didn't have this feature it would have been a rear end accident. I'm all for these tech!
Appreciate 0