Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I'm in this same boat. I just got back from M Tour delivery of my car and I'm not very happy with my photos. There's a lot of out of focus stuff from when I was trying to shoot fast, but my shutter speed was too slow for my shaky self. I'm also starting to dislike the autofocus as it seems to never focus on what I want it to in the view finder, and it just keeps buzzing the motor without actually ever focusing.

I've been thinking about the 5D3, but the professional photographer said I might really like the 7D, or to wait for the 5D4.

I've ditched my walk around lens, the 18-270 Tamron, for a 10-20 Sigma 3.5. I need more coverage, so I'll be getting a 24-70 which I think will work well for me.

The 24-70mm is an excellent, walk-around, full frame lens.

I own everything you've mentioned: 7D, 7D MkII and 5D MkIII. The only reason to stick with the crop-sensor, is the lenses that you already have, or if you're going to be doing a lot of wildlife or sport photography. With the right lenses, the 5D3 will be good for auto racing and people sports, but the crop-factor comes in big for bird photography. Most people don't do bird photography, so the 5D3 works well for most. It's superior as a travel, portrait and auto shooter. It's got a noise floor that's close to one-stop better than the 7D2.

In a later post, you mention a retailer selling the 5D3 for under $1,400 new. Could you provide the link for me. I've got a well used 5D3 for sale, that I was hoping to get $1,400 for, so I may need to revise my expectations.

Best regards,

Dave