NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Yep, I was optimistic. I don’t remember what reasoning I used for the weight but I was probably off by 500. Marginally higher than the 550e sounds right.

NGT2 tell us more…seems promising…
It is promising. Not just the EV experience but the whole car.

It sort solidified my initial thought that comparing the G30 and G60 isn’t really the right approach. The G30 and F10 are more related. You can see it in the interior and exterior design, the model and powertrain variations, etc. I think the G30 is just the end of that family line.

The G60 is related but as a very distant cousin with the same name. It’s big. It feels and looks bigger. You’re sitting higher off the ground, or it certainly seems like it. More like a 7 in that way. It’s a step up in luxury for sure. The base seats and upholstery were comfortable and pleasant. The seats are very substantial, I’d say. The whole car is.

The screen actually flows okay. I hope they improve the integration into the dash in the future but this isn’t bad. It fits the interior fine. I did not play in the screen or idrive much because I wanted to focus on the driving and didn’t want to take more than half an hour since I’m not buying.

The lack of buttons was not as off putting in practice as I expected in theory. The idrive knob and menu/media/nav “buttons” are there. Except they aren’t buttons, they are just icons on the surface and you hit them as if they were buttons. Same for climate control and door lock/unlock. There is a volume knob in the center console but it’s more like a roller than a knob, which was cool. So I could control the media, volume, AC, windows, and door locks without using the touchscreen. It’s different but also familiar enough that it’s not a “culture shock” of sorts.

The flat bottom steering wheel was a non event. I barely noticed. Even one handed driving in the parking lot. It’s very natural and not noticeable. If you love the look, you will love it. Otherwise, you won’t notice. It’s not a negative at all.

The car was Dark Graphite and that’s a very good color for this vehicle. The side skirts bother me but dark colors hide them. I also hate the black plastic behind the rear windows with the “5” on it. Goofy and cheesy and cheap. The front end is good looking. The rear actually is too. The stance of the rear is aggressive and well done. It’s the taillights that are making people think it’s too much like a Toyota. Maybe they will improve those with the LCI.

Overall the exterior design and presence are well done. It’s the details they screwed up. Like the side skirts and the “5” and the plastic behind the windows. Someone should have raised a hand in those meetings because they take away from and otherwise good product.

Personally, I do think it’s too tall. I get it has to fit the battery. All good. Just saying that I prefer the height and positioning in my G30 if I’m in a sports sedan. But as a luxury sedan, it fits the bill very well.

It was a short drive but it didn’t drive too heavy. There’s no real weight in the front end so it feels fairly centered. Took curves well and with little roll. Again, short test drive. I could see it being a dream when cruising the highway or interstate. External noise is almost non existent. Very very smooth over bumpy roads, even on 20’s.

As far as EV specific feedback - it is powerful and fast. I’d say it accelerates just as fast as my M550 but with no drama. And I mean good drama for most of us. There is no noise. You just take off. Like a spaceship. It’s cool! But it’s different. I hammered the gas in my M550 after and I just like the noise and the rumble and feeling it hold the gear and then eventually shift. The only dramatic effect of the i5 M60 is your head being thrown back into the headrest. It definitely does that.

It also odd looking at the instrument panel. Just speed, charge, and that’s really it. Because there’s nothing else. No RPM or temp gauge or oil pressure.

Honestly, I didn’t notice or mind the lack of shifting in normal driving. It’s just different when you accelerate hard.

I recommend driving one, even if you’re not buying. I’m not buying but it was good to check it out. I also recommend judging it on itself and not trying to compare with the G30. They’re different cars.

My conclusion is that the G60 is going to be a good car for BMW and sedan lovers. A powertrain for almost everyone. The M5 will be a beast.

But for me, my G30 M550 is still the king! Would I drive a G60? Sure. Would I give up my G30 to have one? Hell no.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 6
2022M550i3049.00
Joe-BMW337484.50
BMW0121009.00
tsbrown1111.50
E3_55072.00
Gautam622.50