View Single Post
      11-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

As I have noted elsewhere on this forum, I really like my 2018 530e but the all electric range has been somewhat disappointing. Before purchasing I had read reviews suggesting an electric range of 25+ miles (a figure the sales person did not deny) although BMW Canada's claimed range in the dealer specs was only 24 kms. I hoped I'd be able to commute each day on electric power only (22 km round trip) without charging at work (which costs more than the cost if fuel by my rough calculation).

Alas my displayed range has never exceeded 25 kms and my actual all electric range has never exceeded 18 kms (on the warmest summer day, driving in Eco mode). As others have noted, electric range in cold weather is considerably less. My commute is approximately 11 kms each way in city stop and go traffic. When I left the house this morning, the displayed range, after pre-conditioning, was 18 kms. I was showing -- kms left after driving 8 kms.

I understand the newer 530e models have a larger battery which will provide greater electric only range and if you have cheap (or free) electric charging at work that is a bonus.

On a positive note, I can go almost 600 kms of highway driving on a full 40l tank with a full charge and my fuel bill is about 60% lower than my previous all ICE BMW.
Appreciate 0