View Single Post
      11-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Weather, driving conditions, use of AC, etc. all affect driving range. Equally important, if not more, is how one drives. Does one drive like one hates the car or does one hypermile.

I suspect many phev owners do some variation of hypermiling, although probably less than with mainstream cars. I purchased my 530e for two basic reasons: the environment and the ability to drive in the car pool lanes. I didn't/don't really care about mpg as such. So driving in pure electric mode much of the time (local driving) helps me justify letting the car sing when I can on open roads. But even when doing local driving on pure electric, and with AC always on, I am still fairly quick. Accordingly, my range is well less than someone who is trying to maximize range.

Bottom line, to me, is that one has to decide what one wants from a car and be fairly realistic about how one will drive it before making the decision about purchasing/leasing a phev. It works for me (I work mostly from home, do mostly local driving, have a 240 charging box in my garage, and can recharge during the day) but might not for many others.
Appreciate 0