United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
I was going to say online backup, but based on past experience, not worth it.

I think Data backup is important, but not ALL data are needed to back up 3 times IMO.

i back up the most important ones in both extra 1 TB, and many I just back up in 1 of them.

Online is good, but you pay quite a bit of money, depending on the size of your storage and the credibility of that site.. i can just buy a $150 1 TB HD and use it forever.

Mind you, barring any fire/stolen/what nots, these HD would last YEARS and YEARS, even with constant usage. These HD are strictly backup, so I dont use them a lot and I only backup once a couple weeks or so, depending on how much i have to backup at the time.

Going forward, when the Blu Ray discs drop even further in price, I'll probably backup the most important memories in those 50 GB discs and the rest just in HD.
Yea backing up everything multiple times is definitely not necessary. I have 1 backup of my whole system and 3 backups of my work. The bottom line is, if it's important it should be backed up.

While HD's could potentially last years, they can fail for no apparent reason at all. I've had brand new drives fail in 6 months while others last many years. Doesn't matter which brand either.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0