View Single Post
      08-14-2019, 01:12 AM   #1
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Relay Scanning UK

Expect it's common knowledge about the relay scanning threat to our (and other) cars. The article in What Car was interesting. Here's the summary:

BMW declined to provide us with a car for our test, so we sourced one elsewhere. Our X3 has a digital smart key with motion sensor technology – part of a Technology Pack that’s standard with Sport trim. BMW told us that the Comfort Access system on the smart key has a “security system that automatically cuts off the signal emitted from the key when it has been stationary for a set amount of time”.
We believe this is two minutes; the key cannot be activated immediately. However, when the motion sensor technology hasn't cut the signal the key's code can still be picked up and we were able to steal the X3 in 60 seconds. When the motion sensor technology is working, this would prevent the car from being stolen.
A spokesman also said all new BMW and Mini keyless entry keys now have motion sensor technology as standard. “Every single case we are aware of where a relay attack method has been used is when the key is left unattended and not in a pocket – hence our approach to the solution.” He added that owners of many older BMW models can pay to have the motion sensor technology retrofitted; the price of this differs between models.

So I thought I would enquire about the digital smart key. Drew a blank with my local dealer and BMW UK but was much helped by another branch of the same dealership by their Genius Jamie.

Firstly, only cars with comfort keyless access are affected. All G30 have keyless start and will therefore be affected if the door is breached.

The cost to replace the two standard keys is £550 plus £95 0.5 hour labour. BMW will subsidise the parts cost by 70%. Total cost I was quoted was therefore £260. I felt this was reasonable for the benefits you gain if you have keyless /comfort entry.

It might also be worth it if your key is damaged or one is lost. This does not upgrade your key's appearance I was told. It's the internals that have been upgraded.

Now I don't have comfort access so not sure if it's worth it for me as my keys are in good nick and not lost. Only benefit would be if the door itself was breached.

Hope this helps if you want a better OEM solution to a Faraday bag/Tin box for £10

Appreciate 0