09-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #20
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
Hi!

If you bought the oil change kit from ECS, did it come with 5w30 or 0w30 oil grade? The car clearly shows 0w30 grade in the sticker under the hood. The ECS kit that I bought came with 5w30 grade. For the summer months, I would not worry, but for the winter months I want the extra protection offered by the 0w30 grade during cold starts...

I was not able to get ECS to change their kit contents to the 0w30 grade.
I was not going to bring that up. I was not happy that they did not send the specific M recommended oil, the Longlife 01-FE. But after research, the FE is for Fuel Efficiency additives which are to improve BMW's fleet fuel economy numbers and unlikely to be noticed. My dealer put in 0W-20 at the last service. I agree the lower weight MAY be better for winter, but at what point in the oil grade to you say WTF? 5W vs 0W.....I plan on getting the 0W-30 for the next oil changes, but it's getting pretty crazy with the grades. I am on the fence about doing a change every 5000 miles as I have for years. I have the attitude that it can't hurt! The oil I removed was pretty spent and that was after about 7000 miles.

Mike
Attached Images

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0