View Single Post
      04-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #101
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagyyz View Post
It's not bad quality, to be clear. I just felt pretty underwhelmed given the quality of similarly priced cars like the X5 or E-Class. Maybe Nappa or Merino leather makes it better, but the reality is that most 5-Series come with Dakota. An E-Class with half-leather and half-cloth seats feels better built IMO.

BMWs used to be the best quality of the German trio, and this is still the case for most segments. I just feel that they've dropped to second place in the mid-size segment, because the E-Class feels better built than the 5-Series. Given that the Tesla uses many parts from the E-Class and S-Class, it's similar quality to those.

The X5 is far ahead of the GLE and slightly ahead of the Q7, and the same can be said for the 7-Series vs the S-Class or A8. Even the 3-Series feels better than its rivals. The 5 simply doesn't feel as nice as some of its competitors.

I ordered the Tesla Model S because I was surprised to see how much it has improved over the last 8 years. Thought that the X5 was the car for me, turns out it's not. I heard a lot about quality issues and panel gaps and while that's true for some older models, the 2020 feels rock solid, full of leather and full of smooth soft touch materials. In Europe, a nicely equipped X5 40i costs more than a Model S Performance.
I guess you guys have more options available to you or Tesla has fooled you but all the stuff here in the States is pleather. The test drive I did last year on the 2019 S did not convince me of the fake leather quality. You need to spend some quality time in a loaded 5 series with Nappa/Merino leather. Not the stripped lease specials. Plus you can get 10% easily off a 5 series up to 15% with all incentives. Try that on a Tesla.
Appreciate 0