Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagyyz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
I guess you guys have more options available to you or Tesla has fooled you but all the stuff here in the States is pleather. The test drive I did last year on the 2019 S did not convince me of the fake leather quality. You need to spend some quality time in a loaded 5 series with Nappa/Merino leather. Not the stripped lease specials. Plus you can get 10% easily off a 5 series up to 15% with all incentives. Try that on a Tesla.
I was looking at an M550i or 540i Touring and would only take it loaded - I do believe that full Merino leather would make the build quality better than in the Tesla. However, those cars loaded would cost 10-15% more than a fully equipped Performance S, and while I would get fantastic leather and good seats, I'd sacrifice rear seat comfort, rear seat space, trunk volume, handling, performance and wow factor, all for more money. Not to mention the price of 100 gas, which in Europe is ridiculously expensive. I don't care too much about the environmental benefits, but it is a bonus. (the 530e never came close to my shortlist - total rip off, and BMW should be making an i5 or 545e if they really want to get in the EV or PHEV game, rather than embarrassing themselves with a half-assed 4-cylinder that has less power than their base gas engine and less total power than their second cheapest
gas engine).

I do have to admit that the rental 5-Series that I've been in have been really poorly equipped. The only non-tech options that they've had are Dakota leather seats (somehow an option in Europe, even though they suck), power tailgate and heated front seats. That probably has something to do with my opinion of the build quality, but then again, I've sat in E-Classes that don't even have leather seats and those felt better quality.
LOL you would not like my 530i with SensaTec.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0